In perfect harmony – Faaborg Museum 1915

06/6-2015

08/11-2015

6 June – 4 October 2015

Faaborg Museum is a Gesamtkunstwerk, a complete work of art, comprising painting, sculpture, architecture, furniture design and graphic design. The interplay between these elements is exceptional. The beautiful building houses exhibition galleries, mosaic floors, walls painted in fabulous colours, columns and a maze of corridors and rooms.

 

The ambition and vision of both the Museum’s patron, Mads Rasmussen, and the Funen Painters, Peter Hansen, Johannes Larsen, Fritz Syberg et al., were clear when they embarked on a joint project with the architect Carl Petersen. This collaboration produced a fine building for the Museum which attracts international attention today and is one of the most important examples of Danish neo-classicism.

Foto: Helene Binet, Kuppelsal, Faaborg Museum, 2015
Foto: Helene Binet, Kuppelsal, Faaborg Museum, 2015
Carl Petersen, tegning af museets facade og Mads Rasmussens Konservesgård, 1912-15. Faaborg Museum.
Carl Petersen, tegning af museets facade og Mads Rasmussens Konservesgård, 1912-15. Faaborg Museum.

The architect Carl Petersen commissioned furniture designer Kaare Klint to wok on the furniture for the Museum, and today the ‘Faaborg Chair’ which was produced for the Museum, is an icon of Danish furniture design. In 1916 the architect and graphic designer Knud V. Englehardt produced the Museum’s distinctive logo. He is also responsible for the elegant brass plates for the artworks’ numbers located on their picture frames.

 

‘In Perfect Harmony – Faaborg Museum 1915’ displays the architect Carl Petersen’s drawings and plans for the building and the furniture. They are on show in Mads Rasmussen’s grand apartment in Konservesgården, which provided the exhibition space for the fledgling Museum from 1910-1915. The exhibition also includes examples of the furniture, catalogues, graphic design as well as other documentary materials. Together these provide an insight into the processes behind the design of Faaborg Museum, from concept to detailed planning. Carl Petersen’s ceramic designs are also on display. The young architect was a ceramicist and creative director at the well-known Copenhagen porcelain company Bing & Grøndahl; he brought all of this experience to the Museum project. As part of the exhibition there is a projection and soundtrack running in the galleries which provide a narrative on the building, the furniture and the history behind Faaborg Museum.

The illustrated, hardbound, centenary publication ‘I skøn forening – Faaborg Museum 1915’ is available to purchase at 349 kr.

 

The Museum is grateful to the following foundations who have supported exhibitions, publications and events in connection with marking the centenary of the inauguration of Carl Petersen’s Faaborg Museum:

Juni Fonden / A.P. Møller og Hustru Chastine Mc-Kinneys Møllers Fond til almene Formaal /Augustinus Fonden / Beckett-Fonden / Dronning Margrethes og Prins Henriks Fond / Faaborg Midtfyn Kommune/ Faaborg Museums Venner / Statens Kunstfond / Danmarks Nationalbanks Jubilæumsfond / Ny Carlsbergfondet / Realdania / Toyota-Fonden/ Aage og Johanne Louis-Hansens Fond

 

Corporate sponsors 2015:

LE KLINT, Konnerup & co / Westergård Blomster, Faaborg